Saturday, June 11, 2011

Poached Eggs

Poached eggs are one of those strange dishes. They tend to strike fear into the hearts of those who have not prepared them before and can be easily messed up. Once mastered they are an impressive looking but simple part of many tasty dishes.

This is how I do poached eggs but by all means isn't the only or even the best way of preparing them. Do give them a go and don't be disapointed if they don't turn out first try. I started off doing my poached eggs in saucepan, putting vinegar in the water, making a whirlpool, cracking the egg into a saucer first....and I don't think it is worth all that effort. This is much easier and as long as your eggs are fresh it should work out fine.

I always start with a frying pan of simmering water. Simply for the fact it is easier to clean the eggy bits of the bottom than my saucepan. Having the water simmering means the eggs are going to hold the shape better.


All I do is the following:
1. Fill a frying pan partway with water and bring to a simmer.

2. Carefully drop in your egg as close to the water as you can.

3. Turn down the water as low as you can. Cook for about 3 minutes. The outside should be set and the yolk still soft.

4. Lift out carefully. I use my potato masher because I am a bit uncoordinated and they seem to slide off my egg slide.


This could have had slightly more water in the pan...still tasted good though!

No comments: