Saturday, June 18, 2011

Roast Vegetables with Poached Egg and Goats Camembert

First I need to say I love this stuff....



Whenever I make the trip to Adelaide I try and squeeze in the time to stop at Udder Delights in Hahndorf and stock up on cheese. I'd say this is my favourite of their cheeses but so far they are all my favourites.

This is warming, simple and deceptively hearty. It is also much tastier and better looking than my photos make it appear. You don't have to use Goat's Camembert in this dish. The original recipe specifies 125g camembert but I think the smaller amount in the recipe is better as the flavour of the cheese is quite strong.

6 french shallots
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 4 cm pieces
2 zucchini, sliced thickly
1 eggplant, cubed
4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 eggs
105g of goat's camembert, cut into cubes
freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Peel shallots and place in a roasting pan with asparagus, zucchini, eggplant and garlic. Add olive oil and toss well.


Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and add lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, then return to oven for ten minutes.




While you return pan to oven put a simmering frying pan of water on the stove and poach eggs.

Divide vegetables between two oven proof dishes and scatter camembert over the top. Return dishes to the oven until cheese melts.

Serve topped with poached egg and freshly cracked black pepper. Don't forget to let all that oozy eggy goodness run all over the vegetables.




* Adapted from my favourite recipe book of all time. Lulu Grimes Food Cook Eat

No comments: